Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Farewell 2008 - Hello 2009


And so here we are - I can now gaze back at 2008 in its totality and raise a glass to what has quietly turned out to be a refreshingly marvellous year.  It's not been an easy-peasy 12 months at Tenacious Towers, that's for sure, but then where would the fun and sense of achievement have been if it had all been too effortless?

I am glad to say I have made more friends and contacts this year than I have lost, and lost more kilos than I have gained, so that's got to be a good thing; I have created more and written more this year than I ever have, including of course my experimental short film, "three" and my NaNoWriMo effort, "Taking the Fast Lane", which looking back on the experience really is recommended for anyone with a dose of writer's block, creative collapse or even penetrating procrastination. Not that I was actually suffering from any of the aforementioned afflictions mind you - I just felt like a challenging change. Last but not least, I have of course, been selected as Writer/Director for Screen East's DigiBytes scheme and start my script development in the first week of January 2009. I am really excited about the whole project and can't wait to get into the swing of it all; I know it's going to be really hard work but I can't wait! I am living, breathing and sleeping my short, "Practice is Perfect" and I keep having comedy moment panicky dreams about it. Here are a few recent horrors:

1) Staring at the shooting script, forgetting everything I have ever learnt about filmmaking / writing / performance, 
2) Not being able to find the set (!), 
3) Walking onto set and just shrugging and grinning at everyone as they await my instruction, 
4) Realising the actors are in the wrong costumes waaaaay into the shoot, 
5) Having agreed the lighting design for the Digital shoot, finding out, as we wrapped, we had been shooting on 35mm and no-one had bothered to tell me...

Oh, I could go on, but I won't as I am [nervously] laughing too much about the difference in size of a Film camera to a Digital camera.

I have approximately a three month period of development and only then do the successful five (out of seven) projects get chosen to go into pre-production and onto shooting.  You'll not be catching my ass near any laurels having a rest until I know what's what, that's for sure - it's so not over 'til the fat lady sings.  Or Screen East/UKFC say yes. Whichever comes first.  

And on that note, my dearest near and far friends, family, colleagues and e-stalkers, I have work to be getting on with. 

I wish you an ebullient Hogmanay and bid you an effervescent 2009.  

Onwards as always.

8 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Tenacious Lara!

    I recognise those dreams!

    Here's to 2009! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I thought you might, Potsy!!! And yes, here's to a very good year. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck in this New Year, may 2009 be as productive as 2008 has been for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marty! Likewise, I hope 2009 is a great one for you also! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy everything - here's to another fantastic year xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. And an effervescent 2009 to you too. I assume you don't mean alcaseltzer due to hangovers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen - hope you have a great one!
    Rach - how's the head? Effervescent?
    NB - straight back at ya!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete